In my last post I talked about the need for celebrating a ‘Sales Managers Day’, and in this post I want to float a few ideas that sales professionals and the bosses of sales managers can consider for this new celebration on the 27th of February.
Here are a few of my suggestions:
- Send your sales manager an email that simply says… ‘Happy Sales Mangers Day’ with a link to the ‘Sales Managers Day’ you tube video. This will put a warm smile on their face.
- Alternatively, you can send an e-card. Here are a few that I created to give you some ideas. You can either use these or create your own with a personalised message; feel free to add a bit of humour but make sure to keep it professional.
Food and Drinks
- If you know your sales manager is going to be in the office that day, then on your way in, why not grab a hot drink from their favourite coffee shop.
- Bring in a box of donuts, chocolates, cookies, biscuits or similar snacks – not for the sales manager specifically but to share with the whole sales team in the office.
- Ask the sales manager out for a drink after work. If you usually do that anyway then have an extra one “for the boss” and make sure to pick it up yourself as opposed to putting it on the company card.
Speak to the rest of your sales colleagues and if everybody can chip in a few bob, then a gift would be a fine idea. $50 should be more than enough. Here is what to get:
- An accessory for the sales managers office desk – a picture frame, a potted desk plant, a coffee/tea mug or some stationery like a business card holder, an executive conference folder, or even a nice pen.
- If your sales manager is a sports enthusiast then you can give him/her a gift card for a sports shop or buy them a memorabilia for their favourite sports team.
- This one is a little different, but if appropriate, the sales team could collectively make a small donation in the sales manager’s name to his/her dearest charity.
- This one is my favourite… give your boss the gift of knowledge. Buy them a good business book. However, avoid sales and management related titles and opt for a biography of a famous business leader.
This takes us to the last and hands down the best gift you can give your sales manager, and that is…
- Hit your sales quota!
Of course, you will be striving to do this anyway, but the point is that nothing brings more joy to a sales manager than seeing his/her sales team hit their numbers.
Okay, before I end… what if you are in the “I don’t like my sales manager” camp. Well, then why not use the day to get to know your sales manager a bit better. Why not try putting your prejudices aside and see the good that your sales manager brings to the workplace. All of us, and I mean all of us have some habits that others might find annoying, but once we learn to overlook the minor idiosyncrasies of others, we can truly connect with people and bring out the best in each other.
Happy Sales Managers Day.